Character strengths are the capacities we have for thinking, feeling, and behaving. They are the psychological ingredients for displaying virtues or human goodness. There are 24 universal character strengths grouped under six categories (listed below). Each person has a capacity for expressing any of the 24 universal character strengths. However, some strengths are easier and more natural to express. These are signature strengths. Research has shown that using your signature strengths can increase happiness, decrease depression and help you achieve your goals. If you want to understand your character strengths in more detail, and discover what your top 5 signature strengths are, you can complete a free online questionnaire by clicking on via character strengths.
- Wisdom and Knowledge – Cognitive strengths that entail the acquisition and use of knowledge
- Courage – Emotional strengths that involve the exercise of will to accomplish goals in the face of opposition, external or internal
- Humanity - Interpersonal strengths that involve tending and befriending others
- Justice - Civic strengths that underlie healthy community life
- Temperance – Strengths that protect against excess
- Transcendence - Strengths that forge connections to the larger universe and provide meaning