People living with early stage dementia and their carers
Is the dementia course for you?
The dementia self-management course for people in the early stages of dementia and their carers is an interactive, group-based, self-management support course, which runs for 6 weeks, with each weekly session lasting 2.5 hours for groups of between 8 and 12 participants.
The course has been developed by Coventry University and Birmingham Memory Assessment and Advisory Service). Self-management is beneficial in many different ways. If you are the kind of person who benefits from the support of others then the dementia course is for you. The facilitators are dementia professionals.
The dementia course provides a supportive, friendly, confidential, group setting which will give you the knowledge, skills and confidence to cope with many of the frustrations, fears and sense of isolation that living with, or caring for someone with, dementia can bring.
The course deals with:
- Goal setting and action planning
- Looking for solutions to problems and coping strategies
- Stress management (e.g. relaxation)
- Memory tips and strategies
- Life Story work
- Emotional management
- Identifying your strengths
- Becoming more positive, grateful and appreciating life more
- Healthy lifestyles (e.g. eating more healthily and physical activity)
- Prioritising the important things in life
- Communication skills
All of these evidence-based techniques can have a positive impact on your health and wellbeing.
How does the dementia course help?
Our research has shown that after attending the dementia course participants reported:
- More confidence and hope
- Reduced social isolation
- Greater acceptance of the condition
- An increased understanding of dementia
- Positive family changes including better communication and more autonomy
What do people say about the HOPE Programme?
Benefits to organisations and commissioners
When participants attend this programme, they take a more active role in managing their health which can result in fewer consultations with healthcare professionals and more effective use of healthcare resources.
Are you interested in a bespoke HOPE course for the people you support? Contact us